Thursday, November 29, 2007

A nice little earner

Crime does pay:

A lay preacher who bought himself a lordship has been jailed for 10 years for a £51m VAT scam and stealing from personal injury claimants.
Wat Tyler does the maths:
So that's five years inside, equals £10.2 mill pa.
And this is precisely the calculation which ran through my head (kerrrching!) when I heard the story on the news while I was driving today.

In my current wretched financial circumstances, I'd cheerfully do a year inside in exchange for £10m. Heck, I'd do it for just £1m (I may be desperate, but I'm not greedy).

HMP Leyhill in South Gloucestershire (open prison, pleasant location, and not too far from home) would fit the bill nicely. Plenty of time to catch up on some reading, and perhaps do a bit of gardening. That, and savour the prospect of liberation from wage slavery for the rest of my days. What's not to like?

Well, I can dream, can't I?

No comments: